Internships at RIMS
Coral Reef Research and Dolphin Training Internships
The Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences (RIMS) offers two incredibly unique internships: a Coral Reef Research Internship and a Dolphin Training & Research Internship. Both of these internships are intensive 4-week programs that are offered at various times each year.
Under the direction of professional mentors and marine biologists, students will live and work at our facility and engage in a wide variety of activities to gain experience and skills that will make them more competitive when pursuing future employment and research opportunities in the fields of marine science.
These internships are open to upper-level college undergraduates or recent college graduates and are limited to 16 interns in total. Successful applicants may apply for research or independent studies credit through their home institution. To find out more information about these internships and how to apply, please visit the Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences' website at www.roatanims.org.
Internship Program Includes:
- Hotel accommodations
- Full American meal plan – 3 meals daily
- All lab and classroom fees.
- Field trips and excursions off site.
- All diving, tanks and weights. Students will typically make 2- 3 dives a day.
- Internet access.
- An in-depth encounter and swim with our resident population of dolphins.
- Airport transfers on Roatan.
- All applicable taxes.
Details and Restrictions
- Package inclusions are per person.
- Internships are open to upper-level college undergraduates or recent college graduates.
- Unused services of the package are non-refundable and non-transferable (no name changes allowed).
- One complimentary land package will be given to the Professor for every 11 paying students.
Please Note: Accommodations for students are in standard bungalows. Expect 3-4 students per room. Rooms are not coed.
How to Apply
To apply you must complete the following 3 steps:
Step 1: You must complete and submit the application form which can be found here. The RIMS 2017 Internship Application is an electronic document and can be filled out and submitted directly online. Students must email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the email should be: Last name, First name - RIMS Internship Application.
Step 2: You must submit an up-to-date transcript from your university. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted but only in PDF format. The subject line of the email should be: Last name, First name - RIMS Internship Transcript.
Step 3: You must provide 2 letters of reference from a professor or job supervisor. One of these letters must be from a professor who has taught you in a science related class or research capacity. These must be sent directly from your professor/job supervisor.
Applications, transcripts and references should also be e-mailed to: email@example.com